Monday, December 27

handmade christmas: part II

One of my goals was to learn to crochet. After watching a few youtube videos and scouring the photos in my two crochet books I finally figured out a few easy stitches.

I practiced just a tiny bit before jumping into my first project. I couldn't find a pattern on Ravelry which I loved that was also easy enough for me to complete - so I did what I'm sure you're not supposed to do when you begin to crochet: I made up my own.

In fact, I made up my pattern as I went and repeated it in different colors. It was fairly simple - but I will admit it took me FOREVER. I give you, my future-niece's baby blanket:

As I didn't follow a pattern for this blanket, I'm probably not any good at writing them either. But I'll try, in case anyone wants to attempt to recreate my baby blanket:

sc - single crochet
dc - double crochet
tr - triple crochet
pc - popcorn stitch: dc 4 in same stitch, drop loop off hook, put hook through space before first dc stitch and re-grab loop and pull through, sc in next, skip one.

Start by making a chain as long/wide as you want your project to be.

Row 1: sc in second chain from hook
Row 2: ch 1, turn, sc across
Row 3: ch 3, turn, dc in second stitch from hook and dc across.
Row 4: ch 4, turn, tc in second stitch from hook and tr across.
Row 5: ch 3, turn, dc in second stitch from hook and dc across.
Row 6-7: ch 1, turn, sc across
Row 8: ch 1, turn, sc 2, pc across then sc last few stitches (depending on length might be 1-3 stitches)
Row 9-15: repeat rows 1-7.

Then repeat rows 1-15, changing colors if you want, until desired size is achieved.


Mine ended up being huge because I wanted to use my colors in a certain pattern. Then I decided to add a border since my edges weren't perfectly straight.

In the end I was extremely proud of my finished blanket. I wrapped it up for my Sister and Brother-in-law for Christmas, I hope my future-niece adores it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...