Sunday, December 26

handmade christmas: part I

Anyone else busy this past month?! I know I was! Mostly busy crafting that is...

The kick start to my -partially- handmade Christmas was the ornament exchange on The Nest craft boards during the month of November. I had never made an ornament before (okay, unless we're talking handprint ornaments in kindergarten) so I started with some Google research. I found a ton of cute felt ornaments and decided on these since I could easily stay within the exchange's $5 limit. I designed my own snowmen ornaments and here's the result:



These were for the ornament exchange - my recipient (and her hubby) were doing a Jayhawks themed tree.

I kinda flew by the seat of my pants on this one...All my supplies from Michaels:


The white felt is sparkly but I should have just gone with regular white felt (which is about .27 vs .99 for the glitter). Next I cut out my snowmen and sewed on their 'teeth' and buttons.


Third step is to glue on eyes and noses with fabric glue...


Now comes the fun (read: tedious) part! Blanket stitch all the way around and stuff slightly. I started my stitch at the top so that I didn't have to try to make it pretty when tying off at the end - since it will be hidden under the snowperson's hat.

About half way through sewing I stuffed the inside with a thin layer of leftover batting to give them a little depth.




They're almost done! Now it's time to dress them!. I made mine into pairs for family members, embroidering first initials on their little scarves. The boys got top hats and the girls got beanies. I used fabric glue to affix everything. Before I finished the hats I braided some of my embroidery floss into ornament 'hooks' and secured them between the front and back of each hat.


Oh, and my future father-in-law's snowman got a baseball cap and scarf in Giants colors.

I'm sure you could make pretty much anything you wanted with this method of felt and blanket stitching.   Can't wait to use the rest of my felt for next year's ornaments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...