Thursday, November 4

my grandfather's chili with a twist

My grandfather on my dad's side outlived my grandmother for almost 20 years, and took care of her for many years before that. So unlike most men in their 80's & 90's he was great in the kitchen (if only my own father had inherited some of those skills!). I have since adapted his chili recipe to my own taste, but it still smells like Grandpa's!

Grandpa's Chili with a Twist


1 lb ground beef
1 large onion, diced

1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp salt
1 (15oz) can tomato sauce
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes*
1 (15oz) can dark red kidney beans
1 (15oz) can light red kidney beans
2/3 cup preferred salsa*
2 tbsp chili powder
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper

1. In large sauce pan over medium heat, combine ground beef and onion and saute until meat is brown and onion is tender, about 10 mins.
2. Stir in garlic**, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, kidney beans, salsa, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and black pepper. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 1-2 hours.
Serve warm with cheddar cheese on top & a side of corn bread!

*You can use diced, stewed or crushed tomatoes.
**I always make my garlic into a paste so there aren't any chunks. Here's how it's done:
First, mince garlic & sprinkle with salt (large grain salt preferred). Second, let garlic and salt sit for a few minutes, then use a wide blade knife to smash garlic into a paste.

I use this recipe from Allrecipes: Golden Sweet Cornbread

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...